Saturday, March 13, 2010

We're All Mad Here

I've wanted to start a blog for quite a while, but have not had the impetus until now.
The impetus being that it is a requirement of the course I'm doing, which is Certificate IV in Professional Writing and Editing.

The requirement is to start a blog, and only requires that I post once, but I'm going to try to keep it up. I cannot make any promises though. Having said that, I am a world-class procrastinator, so who knows, perhaps I will find myself contributing to this blog rather than doing the work I'm supposed to.

In this blog I plan to post some of my own original writing, as well as discuss books and other pieces of writing, topics of interest to me, and things that inspire me, written or otherwise.

I've found that since I started this course, some 3 weeks ago, that all I've wanted to do is read, read, read. Of course, what with studying full-time and working full-time (for now, hopefully I can go to part-time soon), I have little time to read. To sate myself in the meantime, I've been making lists of the various authors, topics and titles I plan to read when I do have time (whenever that may be!)

Some people/topics/authors that have piqued my interest of late (some through my coursework, some through other means):
Wittgenstein, Voltaire, Kierkegaard, Russell, A. C. Grayling, philosophy, atheism, Anais Nin, L.M. Montgomery... the list goes on.

I just finished this (very) short piece for my subject on Writing for Children: Picture Books, so I thought including it here would be a good start. For this piece we were asked to take a memory from our children and develop it into a self-contained story. It was suggested that we write this using 3rd person limited point of view, which is what I chose to use.

White Christmas.

Lainey was excited. Her prep class was going on its first ever excursion, catching the train to Hurstbridge for a picnic in the afternoon.

Christmas was fast approaching, and the children were wrought with anticipation. Earlier in the day they had made White Christmas, a hideous slice made from copha, rice bubbles and glace cherries.

The slice was sitting on a table at the front of the classroom. Children were milling around it, waiting for the teacher to announce that it was finally time to head to the train station.
Lainey couldn’t say why she did what she did, because she didn’t know. In a moment of weakness and with little forethought, she reached for the unappealing-looking White Christmas and snapped off a single rice-bubble, popping it into her mouth.

She looked around guiltily, only then realising the seriousness of what she’d done. She saw Leesa Jackson’s narrowed eyes staring back at her, accusing. Leesa Jackson- who had big buck-teeth and didn’t know her ABC’s- looked like she was about to burst. “I’m telling on you!” she declared, and that is exactly what she did.

As the rest of the class filed out of the room in pairs, holding hands happily, Lainey was asked to stay behind. She stared at the floor, heavy with shame, eyes brimming with tears. “Did you eat the White Christmas?” Her beloved Mrs. Dennis asked. “Tell the truth or you won’t be able to go on the excursion.”

This thought was unbearable; not only had she disappointed her much adored teacher and been humiliated in front of her classmates, now she may have to suffer the indignity of such a harsh punishment. She truly was a naughty child.

She thought carefully about what to say; on the one hand, Mrs. Dennis had said that if she lied she wouldn’t be able to go. On the other hand, it seemed to Lainey that if she told the truth, then she would surely not be allowed to go. Finally, she decided to do the right thing, whatever the consequences. “Just one bubble,” She admitted.

At the picnic she was offered some White Christmas, which she politely declined.


The End


The work I've done for this subject has reminded m how much I loved picture books as I child. I've found myself imagining reading to my own, as-yet unborn chidren, thinking of all the books my children simply must have. I almost can't wait to have kids just so I can read to them (Neil, if you are reading this, please note that I said almost).
This combined with the recently released film, reminded of one of my greatest loved books growing up: Alice In Wonderland.
I will leave you with some of my favourite quotes from this simply enchanting classic Children's book.
Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?


Alice: I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

The Cheshire Cat: We're all mad here.

No comments:

Post a Comment